Lent is about one month away, and this is a good time to begin carrying the idea of Lent around in your head.” In much the same way as you carry around the idea that you’re going to be leaving on your Carribbean Vacation in a few short weeks. Or the much anticipated move to a new house. Or a new job. You get the idea.
In the same way as you plan for an upcoming event, Lent also deserves some real estate on your mind as you think about how you’d like to use Lent’s 40 Days as a time of reflection and preparation. Here are five ways to make Lent a spiritually useful and productive time.
- Make a list of things you’d like to concentrate on during Lent. This is an especially good time to think about your discipleship to Jesus. Make sure your list is a short two or three items. Doable.
- Be deliberate in praying about your list. How would you like for God to help you in being an intentional disciple?
- Invite someone to be a Lent-partner. Pray for each other. Encourage each other. Hold each other accountable. Plan a time or two to meet in person to talk about how you are succeeding or not with your Lenten plans.
- Start everyday by reading the LifeSpring Lenten meditation. It’s short and not onerous. But it will give you important food for thought.
- Make a decision about one change you’d like to make in your life during the Lenten experience. Pray about it and ask your Lenten partner to help you with it.
Lent is a great antidote to the stress and craziness of our time. Allow it to slow you down, along with giving you time to think about your future with God.